|Florida District Convention
36th Annual Florida Gathering of the Wings
America The Beautiful
March 19-21, 2015
|Alabama District Convention
A Spring SPOOKtacular!!
May 14-16, 2015
|Georgia District Convention
Georgia Wing Fling
June 18-20, 2015
|South Carolina District Convention
South Carolina District presents
Pirates of the Carolinas
July 16 - 18, 2015
Anderson, SC. 29621
|Wing Ding 37
GWRRA's Wing Ding 37
"Rocket City Road Trip"
September 3-6, 2015
|Southeast Region "A" Convention
Southeast Region A Convention
October 29-31, 2015
More information to come.
** GWRRA Region A
I bet after seeing us, George Washington would sue us for calling him "father."
-- Will Rogers
Guidelines For Carrying A Passenger On Your Motorcycle
- Passengers should be considered as a second “active” rider so they can help ensure that safety and procedural operations are correctly followed.
- A passenger will affect the handling characteristics of a motorcycle due to the extra weight and independent motion.
- A passenger tends to move forward in quick stops and may “bump” your helmet with theirs.
- Starting from a stop may require more throttle and clutch finesse.
- Braking procedures may be affected. Braking sooner and/or with greater pressure may be required.
- More weight over the rear tire may increase the usefulness and stopping power of the rear brake, especially in quick stop situations.
- Riding on a downgrade will cause braking distance to increase.
- Extra caution is called for in a corner because of the extra weight.
- Cornering clearances may be affected.
- More time and space will be needed for passing.
- The effects of wind, especially side wind, may be more pronounced.
- The motorcycle must be designed to accommodate a passenger.
- The motorcycle owner’s manual should be reviewed for manufacturer’s tips about motorcycle setup as well as any related operational recommendations.
- The motorcycle’s suspension and tire pressure may need adjustment.
- Care should be taken to not exceed the weight limitations specified in the owner’s manual.
- Passengers should be tall enough to reach the footrests and mature enough to handle the responsibilities.
- Passengers should wear proper protective gear.
- Passengers should receive a safety briefing (see #7 below).
- Passengers should consider themselves a second operator and share responsibility for safety.
General Safety Considerations
- You need to be experienced in the motorcycle’s operation and have a safety-oriented attitude before taking on the added responsibility of carrying a passenger.
- Practice low-speed clutch/throttle control as well as normal and emergency braking in a low-risk area like an open parking lot, with a passenger.
- Use caution in cornering and develop cornering skills over time to ensure passenger comfort and safety.
- Use caution in corners as clearance may be affected.
- Use a Search, Evaluate, Execute (S.E.E.) strategy to increase time and space safety margins.
- Allow time for a passenger to adjust to the sense of speed and the sensation of leaning; speeds should conservatively safe and reasonable until a passenger acclimates to the proper riding techniques.
- Ensure passengers follow safety procedures:
- Complete personal protective gear is properly in use.
- Hold operator’s waist or hips, or motorcycle’s passenger hand-holds provided.
- Keep feet on footrests at all times, including while stopped.
- Keep hands and feet away from hot or moving parts.
- When in a corner, look over the operator’s shoulder in the direction of the corner.
- Avoid turning around or making sudden moves that might affect operation.
- If crossing an obstacle, stand on the pegs with the knees slightly bent and allow the legs to absorb the shock upon impact.
- Allow more time for passing.
- Be ready to counter the effects of wind.
- Avoid extreme speeds and dramatic lean angles.
- Be ready for a passenger “bump” with their helmet when stopping quickly.
- Start the motorcycle before the passenger mounts.
- Have the passenger mount after the motorcycle’s stand is raised and the motorcycle is securely braced.
- Annually complete an ERC Skills Plus RiderCourseSM with a passenger.
- Have frequent passengers complete a Basic RiderCourse so they can better understand the operator’s task.
Updated: 10/10/2014 2:51:29 PM
Congratulations: Dewey and Alice Cole More...
Updated: 9/13/2014 11:05:26 AM
Congratulations to Chapter T --- District and Region Chapter of the Year More...
Updated: 8/13/2014 7:33:09 PM
|28, || ||Tue||-||AL-A Mobile (Dixie Wings - Alabama's First Chapter) Meeting
-- Morrison Cafeteria, I-65 and Airport Blvd, Mobile - Eat 6:00pm / Meet 7:00pm|
|1, || ||Sat||-||AL-N Gadsden (Coosa Valley Wings) Meeting
-- Western Sizzlin, Route 77, Rainbow City - Eat 5:00pm / Meet 6:00pm|
| ||-||AL-M Phenix City (East Alabama Touring) Meeting
-- Buffet City, Just off Highway 280, Phenix City - Eat 6:00pm(ET) / Meet 7:00pm(ET)|
|4, || ||Tue||-||AL-G Samson (L. A. Wings) Meeting
-- PO Folks, Enterprise - Eat 6:00pm / Meet 7:00pm|
|6, || ||Thu||-||AL-D Anniston (Model City Wings) Meeting
-- Western Sizzlin, Hamric Dr, Oxford - Eat 6:00pm / Meet 7:00pm|
| ||-||AL-S Russellville (Cedar Creek Wings) Meeting
-- Panda Buffet, 14633 Hwy 43, Russellville - Eat 6:00pm / Meet 7:00pm|
|7, || ||Fri||-||AL-J Tuscaloosa (Bama Wings) Meeting
-- The Front Porch Restaurant, Highway 43, Northport - Eat 6:00pm / Meet 7:00pm|
|8, || ||Sat||-||AL-L Thomasville (Road Runners) Meeting
-- Gaston's Grill, 33801 Hwy 43, Thomasville - Eat 8:00am / Meet 9:00am|
|11, || ||Tue||-||AL-B Huntsville (Rocket City Wings) Meeting
-- OH%21Bryan's, Highway 72 E, Huntsville - Eat 6:00pm / Meet 7:00pm|
| ||-||AL-U Dothan (Cruisin' U's) Meeting
-- Golden Corral, Highway 231, On the circle, Dothan - Eat 6:00pm / Meet 7:00pm|
| ||-||AL-Y Birmingham (Liberty Wings) Meeting
-- Sherry's Cafe, 5800 Valley Rd, Trussville - Eat 6:00pm / Meet 7:00pm|
|13, || ||Thu||-||AL-Z Prattville (Fountain City Wings) Meeting
-- Chappy's Deli, 585 Pinnacle Place, Prattville, AL 36066 - Eat 6:00pm / Meet 7:00pm|
|15, || ||Sat||-||AL-H Athens (Athens Eagle Wings) Meeting
-- IHOP, Athens - Eat 8:00am / Meet 9:00am|
|18, || ||Tue||-||AL-Q Millbrook (Coosa River Wings) Meeting
-- Logan's Roadhouse, I-65 exit 179 Cobbs Ford Road West - Eat 6:00pm / Meet 7:00pm|
|20, || ||Thu||-||AL-F Montgomery (Capitol City Wings - F Troop) Meeting
-- Fried Green Tomatoes, Atlanta Highway, Montgomery, AL - Eat 6:00pm / Meet 7:00pm|
|21, || ||Fri||-||AL-T Hueytown (Tri-County Wings) Meeting
-- Home Plate Diner, 2780 Allison Bonnett Memorial Drive, Hueytown - Eat 6:00pm / Meet 7:00pm|
Updated: 9/29/2014 12:11:18 PM